A bomb was discovered near the London City Airport by officials on Sunday morning February 11, around 5 AM and an exclusion zone of 700 ft was created immediately after confirming the nature of the explosive by Royal Navy technicians. The Guardian report that as a result, the London City airport has been closed and the passengers are requested to contact their airlines for further assistance. The Airport will remain closed until further notice which will be troublesome for passengers.

When did the bombs fall on Britain?

This was planned during the German bombing offensive against Britain in September 1940 which was known as The Blitz.

The aerial warfare branch of the combined German Wehrmacht military forces known as the Luftwaffe was conducting massive air attacks against the industries, towns, and cities in a battle for daylight supremacy against the Royal Air Force but they failed to dominate.

Looking at the results, the German air fleets known as Luftlotten were ordered to attack London drawing RAF Fighter Command into the battle. Reichsmarschall Herman Goring, the commander in chief of the Luftwaffe, along with Adolf Hitler made a new provision to attack London on 6 September 1940 and from the next day, London was systematically bombed for 56 consecutive days and nights with most prominent one on 15 September 1940 when London was heavily bombed.

The bombing destroyed almost a million houses and around 40,000 civilians were killed. With constant bombing, the civilians found refuge in the deep communal shelters which were the underground tube stations. Although it was used as the shelter during the first world war, the government refused to allow the station to be used as a shelter for fear that the civilians might refuse to leave.

Stations were opened up for public shelter during the Blitz

As a result, the stations were locked during the raids but after witnessing heavy bombing by the Germans, the government capitulated their decision and opened it to the general public. About 150,000 people slept in the underground during mid-September of 1940. The people were sleeping in the deepest stations, hearing the discordant music of the war, but still unsafe as many people were killed by direct hits on the stations.

In March 1943, a woman fell down the stairs as she entered Bethnal Green tube station which created a wild stampede, crushing 173 men, women and children to death.

The bomb has been recovered and officials are hunting around to find more in an effort to clean the dangerous debris of the war from the city.